When it comes to restrictive and crash diets, we rarely support them. To be fair, crash diets are a way to starve yourself for three to five days. And when it comes to pros and cons, the benefits rarely outweigh the negatives.
However, the good thing about the pineapple diet is that while you are on a crash diet, you are consuming one of the most nutrient dense fruits http://www.kau.in/sites/default/files/documents/benefits_and_uses_of_pineapple.pdf.
The diet can help you lose a significant amount of weight in just three to five days. And it definitely sounds appealing. Who doesn’t want to lose 10 pounds in 5 days?
Even more appealing is that during those five days, you consume a delicious fruit. Don’t get fooled, the pineapple diet will not result in long-term weight loss.
That sort of thing requires more time, effort, diet, and exercise plan. But when you need to lose some pounds quickly because you are going on a holiday, or you need to fit in your dress, the diet with pineapple is great.
Table of Contents
The basics of the diet
When you read pineapple diet, you are wondering how much pineapple you will be eating. Well, the diet is just what it sounds like, a diet centered around eating pineapple.
Some versions of the diet limit you only to eating pineapple, while others allow more nutrients. You will basically consume 3-4lbs of pineapple per day. Whichever version you choose, you need to understand that you are following a fad diet that bans large groups of healthy foods.
Pros and Cons of the Diet
No diet is perfect. And yes, mono-diets like the pineapple one have a bad reputation. However, if followed correctly and only for a short amount of time, they can be very efficient and effective.
Here are the positive and negative sides of the diet.
- Easy to find and prepare ingredients
- You can use it as a detox diet and a weight loss diet
- It is great for quickly losing a few pounds
- You cannot follow it for a long time. If followed for a prolonged period of time, the diet can increase the risk of kidney problems, loss of muscle mass, and heart problems
- Because pineapple has diuretic effects, you will retain fewer liquids and your body will be deprived of some nutrients during the diet
- You have to be very careful what you eat after the diet is over
- There are just very few ingredients, and your five-day diet might get monotonous
How pineapple helps weight loss
There are a number of reasons why pineapple is great for losing weight.
Here are some benefits of consuming the tasty fruit:
- Pineapple is the only fruit that contains bromelain, an enzyme that helps reduce inflammation, which is the root of weight gain https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18482869
- Pineapple improves digestion, as it is home of several enzymes that ensure proper digestion and help you cleanse the colon
- Bromelain, the enzyme in pineapple, helps in nutrient absorption, meaning you absorb healthy nutrients from other foods https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18317550
- Bromelain also slows down bowel movement, which suppresses appetite and makes you feel full https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15936249
- Pineapple is also rich in vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, and all of that in just 70-80 calories in one cup
- The fruit is also rich in vitamin B1, a vitamin that improves energy production and helps you stay active
Nutritional value and a five-day meal plan
We mentioned previously that you will consume between four and five pounds of pineapple each day. With that in mind, what you get in terms of macro and micronutrients http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2019/2?
Here is a nutritional value breakdown:
- 2g of fat
- 10g of protein
- 1,000 calories
- Small doses of minerals like iron, zinc, calcium and potassium
- Small doses of vitamins like A, E, and B vitamins
If you want best results, always consume fresh pineapple, not canned. Here is how your diet will look:
- For breakfast, you can get 2-3 slices of pineapple, 1 cup of low-fat yogurt, and some oatmeal
- Between breakfast and lunch, get 1 glass of pineapple juice, 1 slice of toasted rye bread, and 1 boiled egg as snack
- For lunch, prepare a simple broth with vegetables of your choice, grilled fish or chicken, or some tuna
- Between lunch and dinner, grab 1 glass of pineapple juice and 1 cup of low-fat yogurt
- For dinner, prepare chicken and pineapple salad
As you can see, you have pineapple with every meal, and your lunch can be of any fish, chicken, or turkey fillet with pineapple.
You can increase the weight loss benefits of the diet by consuming a cup of green tea or a glass of apple cider vinegar and honey in the morning before breakfast. The drink will help you get rid of even more toxins and lose more weight.
Potential side effects
We mentioned there are pros and cons to every diet. With the pineapple one, there are some potential side effects that can be very dangerous. This applies to all restrictive diets, not just the pineapple one https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17535033.
During fast weight loss diets, you do not lose weight, you lose water weight. Because you lose a lot of water, you might experience dehydration, and you may feel dizzy, experience headaches, and become fatigued.
And when you consume very few calories, you are likely to feel depressed or stressed. The good news is that as long as you do not make it a habit of following fad diets, you will avoid the more serious side effects like nutrient deficiencies, low blood pressure, electrolyte imbalance, and irregular heartbeat.
How to maximize the effects
Whenever you follow a certain diet, pineapple or not, you need to make sure you maximize your effort.
Here are some bonus points to do that:
- Prepare a large batch of the vegetable broth, and you will have it ready whenever you want/need it
- Keep yourself hydrated during the diet. Without proper hydration, the pineapple diet can increase the acidity of your body
- You can do some light exercise during the five-day diet, but nothing serious
- Be mentally prepared for the end of the diet. Since it is a restrictive diet, you can easily get your weight back if you do not control yourself
- Always use oil-packed tuna, not water-packed tuna
- You can experience diarrhea, so be prepared for such scenario
Not everyone can survive the five-day diet of only pineapple, tuna, and chicken. Therefore, there is an alternative approach, but one that will not yield such weight loss results.
For the alternative approach, you need to cut 500 calories from your typical diet per day. Follow that with replacing pineapple as your daily cup of fruit. Every diet has 1-2 cups of fruit per day, and you need to make sure you consume pineapple.
References [ + ]