Raw Trailmix with Superfoods
by Healthy Homestead Team
9 months ago
Raw trail mix is one of the truly healthy snacks that combines maximum nutrient intake with edible pleasure. This particular recipe uses a few accessible raw superfoods such as hemp seeds, goji berries, and mulberries. It may seem quite simple to throw together your own trail mix, but taking a few extra steps can make the all the difference. With a little soaking time, dehydrating time and spices, your trail mix can go from adequate to addictive. Especially if you find a nice raw chocolate bar to cut up and toss in there!
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup raw buckwheat groats, optional
- 1 cup dried fruit (such as chopped pineapple, blueberries, and cranberries)
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup raw mulberries
- 1/2 cup deglet dates (pitted and diced)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- Optional: Pinch of cayenne
- First soak the walnuts, almonds, and buckwheat, if using, for about an hour. Drain and rinse well. If desired, chop them into chunks or small pieces.
- Next, spread the nuts and buckwheat out on mesh dehydrator trays and dehydrate them at 145°F for 1 to 2 hours or until dry and crunchy. (If you don't have a dehydrator, this can also be done in the sunlight for a few hours or even in your oven on the lowest temperature.)
- Place the nuts, buckwheat, and remaining ingredients into a bowl and toss with the spices.
- Store in an airtight glass jar or container either at a cool room temperature or in the refrigerator.