Healthy and Tasty Vegetarian Wraps
by Healthy Homestead Team
11 months ago
WARNING: Extremely delicious!
Veggie Wrap With Arugula Pesto
If you had any doubts about eating raw wraps, I hope these wraps can change your mind. They’ve quickly become my new go-to lunch and I absolutely love the flavour and texture combination. Since I tend to stay away from flour-based products, I’m always on the search for replacements; and while you might not think a cabbage leaf can replace a traditional tortilla shell, let me tell you it absolutely can. There’s so much flavour and creaminess from the arugula pesto and roasted pumpkin – a match made in veggie heaven. Give these guys a try, because they can definitely turn around your afternoon.
Raw Veggie Wraps with Arugula Pesto (makes about 4-6)
- green cabbage (or collard green)
- red cabbage, thinly sliced
- red pepper, thinly sliced
- pumpkin, sweet potato or butternut squash roasted or steamed in cubes
- green onion, thinly chopped
- feta (omit if you want to keep this vegan)
- 2 cups arugula
- A large handful of basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to season
1. In a blender, blend all pesto ingredients together until fairly smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Roast pumpkin, sweet potato or butternut squash in the oven at 425 degrees until tender. I always have this on stock in the fridge, so if you can make this ahead you will be able to whip these wraps up in no time!
3. After everything is chopped, lay out a leaf of green cabbage; spread a large tbsp. of pesto evenly. Sprinkle the thinly sliced red cabbage all over. In the center, working lengthwise, place red pepper, feta, onions, pumpkin and avocado.
4. Begin to roll up your wrap. You can use tooth picks to hold it all together until you master the roll. Cut in half and enjoy!
Recipe from notyourstandard.com
Healthy Chickpea Lettuce Wrap
These are super fast and easy to put together. All you need to do is mash up half a can of chick peas, whip together a quick, yummy sauce of greek yogurt and some spices, chop up celery and walnuts, and stir it all together!
These aren’t just Healthy Chickpea Lettuce Wraps…these are actually Healthy Curried Chickpea Lettuce Wraps! Having a HUGE craving for some Indian food, but can't wait for delivery? This is it. The flavor combo of these wraps are the bomb. Sweet raisins + fresh celery + nutty walnuts + curry powder + creamy chickpeas = the most flavorful, non boring lettuce wraps. Ever.
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons non fat plain greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot madras curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1/2 stalk celery chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- bibb lettuce washed, left whole
- Green onions thinly sliced
- Cilantro finely minced
- more chopped walnuts for topping, if desired
- Once they're mashed, stir in the other half can of whole chickpeas and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients: mayo, greek yogurt, lemon juice, curry powder, and salt.
- Pour the sauce over the chickpeas and stir in the raisins, chopped celery and chopped walnuts.
- Cover the bowl with saran wrap and let chill in the fridge until cold, about 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, spoon the mixture into each lettuce leaf and top with thinly sliced green onion, finely minced cilantro, and more chopped walnuts! I also like to drizzle these with a little extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!